Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Letter press at The ARM, Brooklyn (Williamsburg)








On Feb 3&4, 2012, I travelled to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to print a few more compliments at the ARM. I had reserved a press for two afternoons, and basically wanted to print as many compliments within that time frame. I met Dan (the owner/manager of the place) on the Friday, and without any tips, orientation, or any guidance, I was directed to the SP1C press, and off I went... There were quite a few other people printing at he same time, and the atmosphere was quite different than what I was used to at Atelier Domino, where there is usually some Alain Bashung, or Jazz music playing while I set some type, and I am not concerned about timelines as I am renting the press for the day. Most of the others were all printing with polymer plates rather than setting type, which I can see why when you are renting by the hour... I searched through the wooden type drawers, and managed to make a few compliments on day one. These included a large Me & You print, and two compliments: "You are a 4 am phone call type of friend", and "You're Sweet". On Saturday, I managed to make three more compliments including one in Spanish and one in Italian. "Tu sei la mia Stella", and "De todas las flores tu eres la mas hermosa"... how could you not feel happy printing these?

4 comments:

  1. I love the last photo ("Me&You")!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! the print is super nice too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thank you! I constantly needed to write on my blog something like that. Can I take a part of your post to my blog?
    Tour 400 Youth Inline Hockey Goalie Blocker 2011

    ReplyDelete
  4. You actually make it seem really easy together with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually one thing that I feel I might by no means understand. It seems too complex and extremely wide for me. I am looking ahead in your next submit, I'll try to get the grasp of it!
    Scarpa Women's Kailash GTX Lady Hiking Boot

    ReplyDelete